If you’re looking for Murray River waterfront accommodation in Victoria, you’ll also find plenty of welcoming communities who’ll ensure your holiday is full of amazing memories and natural wonder. Spanning Mildura, Swan Hill, Cohuna, Echuca, Yarrawonga and Wodonga, there’s much to see and do, and beautiful places to stay, right on the waterfront.
The Murray is also an area of significant cultural importance to First Nations people who have lived on their traditional lands along the river for thousands of years. We’re going to share some ideas for waterfront accommodation on the Murray River across some iconic riverside towns in Victoria so you can enjoy spectacular waterfront scenery and learn some of the history of this beautiful region on your next visit.
Wodonga, VIC. Home of the first bridge across the Murray
Wodonga, 300 kilometres north-east of Melbourne, was an essential river port for the Victorian goldfields. Surrounded by beautiful scenery, the area is dotted with wineries, cultural and historic experiences.
- The Army Museum Bandiana is the largest Army Museum in Australia with uniforms, military equipment, weapons and vehicles on display from WWI, WW2 and present day.
- Hike or cycle along the High Country Rail Trail between Wodonga and Tallangatta for a close view of Lake Hume, the red gum woodlands next to Kiewa River and the bridge across Sandy Inlet.
- Burraja Gallery is only dedicated local Aboriginal art gallery in the northeast border region
Waterfront Accommodation in Wodonga
While Wodonga is situated next to the Murray there isn’t direct waterfront accommodation like the towns of Cohuna and Echuca we cover below. Visit Albury Wodonga Accommodation for accommodation options.
Echuca – old world charm with a contemporary vibe
A 2.5 hour drive from Wodonga sits Echuca, home to the largest fleet of operational Paddle steamers in the world. Once the third largest port in Australia (after Sydney and Melbourne), a range of tours, shows and cruises showcase the heritage of this bustling town.
- The Great Aussie Beer Shed and Heritage Farm Museum displays a huge assortment of iconic and historic Aussie products, machinery and collectables.
- The National Holden Motor Museum displays an amazing collection of cars and insights into Australia’s motoring industry
- Learn about the history that was the bustling river trade in the 1800’s at the Port of Echuca Discovery Centre.
Waterfront accommodation in Echuca
The NRMA Echuca Holiday Park is on the waterfront and has a range of accommodation options.
Cohuna – a charming town built for watersports
Just 45 mins down the road from Echuca and right on the banks of Gunbower Creek, a branch of the Murray River, sits the hidden treasure Cohuna. Gunbower Creek diverts from the main channel of the Murray and rejoins it further downstream, resulting in still waters ideal for waterskiing, canoeing, stand-up paddleboarding, kayaking and wakeboarding.
Gunbower National Park includes wetlands and billabongs along the Murray River and is a breeding ground for waterbirds. The area features river red gums, sandy beaches and a scenic forest drive, ideal for picnics, fishing, boating and bushwalking.
- Visit Gunbower Island and Gunbower National Park to explore these beautiful and protected wetlands
- Wetlander Cruises combine dining and scenery for a transquil river experience
- Book a round at the Cohuna Golf and Bowls Club, a true forest golf experience
- The Gateway to Gannawarra visitor centre exhibits works from artists and provides educational, cultural and heritage information on the Shire
- Find more things to do in Cohuna, in addition to farmers markets and the annual The Big Cohuna festival
Waterfront accommodation in Cohuna
The Cohuna Waterfront Holiday Park is surrounded by Gunbower Creek on three sides. Offering tranquil waterfront cabins and sites, guests can enjoy a truly immersive riverside experience. Gather on the verandah to relax, have a drink, or simply spot the abundant bird life.
Swan Hill – a bustling town within an ancient landscape
Swan Hill sits on the Murray Valley Highway just over an hour from Cohuna. Like many of the towns on the Murray, the river offers ample opportunities for watersports, boating and fishing – and you can’t miss the town’s Giant Murray Cod statue.
- Visit Pioneer Settlement, an exhibition of our ancestors way of life in the late 1800’s and early 1900’s
- The Swan Hill Regional Art Gallery offers a lively program of changing art exhibitions
Waterfront Accommodation in Swan Hill
The Big4 Riverside Swan Hill is right on the banks of the Murray.
Mildura – ‘an oasis in the desert’
In northwest Victoria about 2.5 hours from Swan Hill is the town of Mildura, referred to as an oasis in the desert. Surrounded by arid landscapes and well-known wineries including Trentham Estate, there’s plenty to see and do in this historic town.
- Visit the Australian Inland Botanic Gardens
- Check out Mildura’s thriving arts scene at the Mildura Arts Centre
- Take a self-guided tour of The Chaffey Trail, a self-guided tour of prominent heritage sites and buildings in the region.
Waterfront Accommodation in Mildura
While not directly on the waterfront, the 7th Street Motel is only 300m from the River.
Joining us on the Murray River waterfront?
The Murray River region in Victoria has a wealth of natural beauty, culture, abundant wildlife, native produce and breathtaking scenery. Enjoy picturesque towns each with their own unique offerings while enjoying the tranquility of staying in a waterfront location.
Whether you’re looking for an adventure experience or simply to relax and unwind, waterfront accommodation on the Murray offers you the opportunity to explore, reconnect and immerse yourself in the spirit of our beautiful river.
We invite you to stay with us at the Cohuna Waterfront Holiday Park.